Assault case: Two-day police custody for Mohammed Nalapad

Kristen Gonzales
February 20, 2018

Mohammed Haris Nalapad, who was suspended as the general secretary of the Bengaluru District Youth Congress, was remanded in police custody for two days, ANI reported.

'Nalapad surrendered to us at the Cubbon Park police station where a case was booked against him for allegedly assaulting and severely injuring a youth in a cab on Saturday night, police sub-inspector K Suresh said.

Meanwhile, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) workers staged a protest against Haris outside city's Cubbon Park.

An embarrassed Congress was forced to expel MLA NA Haris' son Mohammad Nalapad on Sunday following a News18 report on an attack by the latter and his friends on a youth in an upscale Bengaluru restaurant. The group asked the victim, who has been identified as Vidwath, to "sit properly".

More news: I have a selection headache for Barcelona clash, admits Conte

According to Praveen, Nalapad was not convinced and had a heated exchange with Vidwath. With the elections just around the corner, the Congress took moved swiftly and removed Nalapad from the party for six years. Hadagali returned to the force within a week with a plump posting at Ashok Nagar police station with the alleged blessing of Haris. The police even accepted a complaint against Vidvat from Arun, Nalapad's accomplice who was later arrested on Sunday.

Expressing shock over the incident, BJP State president B.S. Yeddyurappa tweeted "I am appalled at & strongly condemn the ghastly attack by MLA N.A. Harris's son on innocent Vidwat.@CPBlr Police must arrest the culprit and his goons to restore public confidence in rule of law". NA Haris visited Vidvat and his father at the hospital and promised that he would advise Mohammed and also said that law will take its own course. Chief Minister Siddaramaiah had also tweeted that offenders should be punished to the "full extent of law". "Congress MLA must counsel his absconding son to surrender".

Earlier on Sunday, Harris claimed that he was not aware of his son's whereabouts.

Other reports by TheSundaySentinel

Discuss This Article