Five women accuse James Franco of inappropriate behavior

Emilio Banks
January 12, 2018

Days after allegations first surfaced on Twitter following the Golden Globes, five women have accused actor and director James Franco of sexually coercive and exploitative behavior in a new Los Angeles Times report. (Both the NY and Los Angeles locations closed past year, surprising students, according to the Los Angeles Times.) A former acting student, Sarah Tither-Kaplan, whose tweet about Franco after the Globes went viral, told the newspaper that while filming an orgy scene, he removed the protective plastic guards covering actresses' genitals while he simulated oral sex on them.

A former acting student, Sarah Tither-Kaplan, recalled another time where Franco filmed an orgy scene and none of the women present were wearing clothing. Sarah Tither-Kaplan said "there was an abuse of power" at the school and its offshoot productions - like on the set of The Long Home, a 2015 indie starring Franco, Josh Hutcherson, Courtney Love, and Timothy Hutton.

Two other students, Hilary Dusome and Natalie Chmiel, both 33, also told the Los Angeles Times yesterday Franco got "visibly angry" when they refused to go topless during a commercial.

On Sunday she called Franco out on social media after the Globes ceremony, publicly recounting an incident in which she says he pressured her to perform oral sex inside a vehicle.

Five women spoke out in an article published Thursday on what they allege was an abuse of power and sexual misconduct at the hands of Oscar-nominated actor James Franco. His attorney, Cynthia Huffman, told the Times that she had received no complaints from actors about her client's behavior, at least not during filming of The Long Way Home. She says she had a romantic relationship with him at the time but that it hadn't progressed to that point at the time. When the LA Times reached out to Franco's lawyer for comment on its story, the publication was directed to his comments to Colbert.

"If I have done something wrong", Franco added.

The things that I heard that were on Twitter are not accurate.

More news: Mario Tennis Aces smashes on to Nintendo Switch this Spring

In reference to his own situation, Franco said, "The way I live my life, I can't live if there's restitution to be made". Franco said that the things he's heard about on Twitter are not accurate but he supports people coming out and having a voice. Franco's attorney denied this to the Times. She also told the Times that the actor created an atmosphere where it felt like saying no to him wasn't an option.

It was promoted in James Franco's Studio 4 classes that he would train actors and then give them parts in his projects.

Franco also taught a "sex scene" class at Studio 4, which resulted in some of the students work being loaded onto Vimeo.

Franco, 39, has been dogged by allegations, rumors and innuendo in the wake of Sunday's ceremony, during which a wore a lapel pin honoring the fight against sexual misconduct. "But one of the things that I've learned is that this is a conversation that obviously needs to be had". "Before I've ever been on TV or before I've ever had any real credits or before any of this - of course I regret that". There are people, women and others, who have not been a part of this conversation.

James has previously come under fire for allegedly trying to pick up a 17-year-old girl on Instagram on 2014, enticing her to meet him in a hotel room.

"I did read them, I haven't responded", Franco said on Late Night with Seth Meyers on Wednesday. "And I'm here to listen and learn, and change my perspective where it's off, and I'm completely willing, and I want to".

Other reports by TheSundaySentinel

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER