Effort to kill spider with torch causes apartment fire

Emilio Banks
January 10, 2018

An apartment in Redding was damaged by fire Sunday when residents tried to kill a spider by lighting it on fire.

"It was a huge wolf spider", said Wisegarver, who is a caregiver for one of the residents. While the fire didn't kill the spider instantly, the burning spider did run into a mattress, setting it on fire - a fire that spread to the drapes and a flag collection. The residents attempted to extinguish the fire with a garden hose but it spread too quickly, officials said, the Searchlight reported.

Firefighters put the fire out in about 15 minutes.

No one was injured, however, the fire did cause about $11,000 in damage.

This guy from California falls firmly into the latter group, because when he spotted a large spider in his bedroom, he decided the best course of action was to pull out his trusty torch lighter and burn the little bugger.

More news: Saudi Tornado GR4 Fighter Bomber Crashes In Yemen Due To Technical Error

As for Wisegarver and the two men living in the apartment, they are going to have to find another place to live.

Apparently, Wisegarver said they've been thinking about moving for a while. When firefighters arrived on scene they found light smoke coming from the second floor of the townhouse.

She told the newspaper they had been keen to move out anyway.

Fire officials are investigating the incident.

"We'll make it work", she told the news website.

Other reports by TheSundaySentinel

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER