Kabul blast: Death toll rises to 20

Marie Harrington
January 6, 2018

Security sources in the area had earlier said that 20 people have been killed and more than 20 others have sustained injuries in the attack.

"We can confirm that so far 11 bodies have been brought to our hospitals as well as 25 wounded", the AFP news agency quoted Health Ministry spokesman Wahid Majroh as saying on January 4.

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani condemned the "barbaric attack" in a statement, calling it an "inhumane" act.

A police official told Efe news that the suicide attacker was on foot and wore a vest loaded with explosives that he detonated near the policemen watching the demonstration.

The attack happened near the U.S. Embassy where security personnel are reported to have been carrying out an operation against illegal drugs and alcohol.

More news: Demovsky: Packers signed McCarthy to contract extension through 2019

Kabul has been hit hard by terror attacks attributed to Taliban, Islamic State (IS), and other militants operating in the country.

An Islamic State suicide bomber struck a Shiite cultural center in Kabul yesterday, killing at least 41 people and underscoring the extremist group's growing reach in Afghanistan.

Despite the increased security measures militants continue to carry out attacks.

In December alone, IS claimed three attacks that killed dozens of civilians.

Other reports by TheSundaySentinel

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER