ISIS Claims Blasts in Kabul which Killed Dozens

Marie Harrington
December 29, 2017

At least 40 people were killed and dozens more wounded in a suicide attack on Tebyan center in Pule Sokhtia area of Kabul on Thursday morning, health officials confirmed.

According to a report this month by media freedom group Reporters without Borders, Afghanistan is among the world's most unsafe countries for media workers with two journalists and five media assistants killed doing their jobs in 2017, before Thursday's attack.

Deputy interior ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimi told AFP that the main blast was followed by two smaller bomb explosions that did not cause any casualties, and that the death toll is not final and "might" go up.

In the past, Islamic State loyalists have singled out Shiites for attack, and the group claimed to be behind an attack last month on another news organization in Kabul, Shamshad TV.

Journalist Sayed Abbas Hussaini - who works at the agency - said there appeared to be an initial blast at the entrance of the compound, with more after that.

More news: Harrison shares joke with Tom Brady as Patriots switch nears

UNAMA, the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan, also put out a statement on Twitter condemning the attack.

According to officials, women, children and journalists are among the dead.

The attack took place opposite the offices of the Afghan Voice news agency. "By sowing terror, the Taliban and Islamic State have created information "black holes" in many regions since 2015".

'It is said that target of attack was media center & education facility.

Other reports by TheSundaySentinel

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER