Explosion Confirmed At Major New York City Bus Terminal, Suspect Identified

Chelsea West
December 16, 2017

Ullah had a crude pipe bomb strapped to him and it went off in a passageway between Seventh and Eighth Avenues at the Port Authority bus terminal near Times Square.

The suspect was identified as 27-year-old Akayed Ullah.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio and President Donald Trump have been briefed on the incident, according to local media and the White House. "Thank God the perpetrator did not achieve his ultimate goal".

The incident was captured on security video, the police said.

"Sources in NYPD are saying there was a confirmed bombing in #PortAuthority NYC and that shots were fired".

"Preliminary investigation at the scene indicates this male was wearing an improvised, low-tech explosive device attached to his body", said NYPD Commissioner James O'Neill.

He said there were no further credible threats against the city and the device was "an amateur level explosive device". It shows the suspect on the ground and people fleeing the area. Many people were in the passageway when the explosion caused it to fill with smoke. Collins was assisted by three other officers: Sean Gallagher, Anthony Manfredini and Drew Preston.

Police said a man suspected of being behind the blast was in custody and suffered injuries.

Alicja Wlodkowski, 51, said she was inside a restaurant at the Port Authority when she saw a crowd of people running. You just keep moving. "What is clear is the resolve of New Yorkers to live in a free society, devoid of fear".

He is of Bangladeshi descent and lives in Brooklyn, two law enforcement sources told CNN.

More news: You can now follow hashtags on Instagram

Four people have been injured in a blast at a subway station in the heart of Manhattan, in what the mayor of NY said was an "attempted terrorist attack".

- The device was a pipe bomb affixed to his person with a combination of Velcro and zip ties, John Miller, Deputy Commissioner of Intelligence and Counter Terrorism, said.

"Nothing is going to change", she said.

"Let's get back to work", the mayor said. "We can't be scared".

The NYPD said on it's official Twitter account: "The NYPD is responding to reports of an explosion of unknown origin at 42nd Street and 8th Ave, #Manhattan". The normally busy area was empty after police evacuated the area. Ullah came to the USA with his parents and siblings in February 2011 on an immigrant visa, and had since become a permanent United States resident, CBS News reported.

New Jersey Transit buses headed to the Port Authority were diverting to other locations.

"The reality is we are a target by many who would like to make a statement against democracy, against freedom", he said.

Police on the scene told News Corp Australia they were "not allowed" to comment.

A small bomb exploded near an underground train station in New York's Times Square on Monday. "And our enemies want to undermine that, the terrorists want to undermine that, so they yearn to attack New York City". "We must protect our borders, we must insure that individuals entering our country are not coming to do harm to our people, and we must move to a merit-based system of immigration".

Other reports by TheSundaySentinel

Discuss This Article