Charles Leclerc to race for Sauber alongside Marcus Ericcson in 2018

Chelsea West
December 4, 2017

"First of all, I would like to congratulate the team on the new partnership with Alfa Romeo", said Ericsson.

Sauber announced earlier this week it would be racing as "Alfa Romeo Sauber" in 2018, heralding the return of the Alfa Romeo name to F1 after more than 30 years.

"We have time until 2020 to find a solution which benefits Ferrari", he continued. The agreement with Sauber expires in 2020-2021, right when Ferrari could leave.

The new Alfa Romeo Sauber Formula One Team auto during its official presentation at the Alfa Romeo Historical Museum in Arese, near Milan.

More news: Rex Burkhead's 2 second-half TDs cap off Patriots' big win

Marchionne offered the quit threat last month when details of new engine regulations and a reduction in revenue were outlined by F1 officials from 2021 following lengthy meetings and talks with various stakeholders.

"We have to find a solution which is good for the sport but we also have to be clear on the things we can't back down on", he insisted.

The decision leaves German driver Pascal Wehrlein, Ericsson's team mate this year, facing an uncertain future with former champions Williams the only remaining team with a vacancy.

Ericsson says it is an honour for him to drive for the Alfa Romeo brand next season, and he hopes to be an asset to the team as they aim to move off the bottom of the championship standings.

Other reports by TheSundaySentinel

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER