Terror probe after knife attacker targets soldier in Paris

Emilio Banks
September 16, 2017

The attacker was overpowered by the soldier and arrested.

"The man is under control". No data is provided on the status of the French soldier.

French defence minister Florence Parly said the fact that the attacker was swiftly brought under control Friday was "proof of the professionalism and efficiency of the Sentinelle soldiers in their mission to protect".

Police said that the soldier was on patrol at Châtelet underground station when a man came up behind him and tried to slit his throat.

More news: Fraud claim sets tone for meeting

French counterterrorism prosecutors are handling the investigation into an attempted knife attack on a soldier patrolling a large Paris subway interchange.

Operation Sentinel has been in operation since 2015 following the January 2015 terror attacks at the Charlie Hebdo office and Jewish Hypercache supermarket.

Recently, authorities said last month that six soldiers in Levallois, outside Paris, were hurt when a driver deliberately rammed into them. The suspect was arrested hours after the incident on a motorway in northern France. No one else was attacked or injured. Police confirmed they are treating the attack as a terror incident. The assailant had also threatened passersby before targeting the three police officers, according to BFM TV.

France has been the victim of a string of ISIS-inspired terror attacks in the past two years, most notably the November 2015 atrocities that claimed the lives of 130 people.

Other reports by TheSundaySentinel

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER