Barcelona Condole With Victims Of Terror Attack

Emilio Banks
August 18, 2017

Calling it a terror attack, police said at least one person was killed and 32 were wounded, many seriously.

The seaside city was on lockdown in the immediate wake of the attack, with residents told to not leave their homes and many reported to be sheltering inside stores and restaurants and bars that closed the moment news of the attack reached them.

A few hours later, Spanish public broadcaster RTVE announced that one suspect in the Barcelona van attack had been arrested.

Global Affairs says Canadians in the Spanish city should monitor local media and follow the directions of local authorities. "And our second priority is the police investigation, to find the people responsible of this attack and anyone who has helped them directly or indirectly". He said the United States would never relent in tracking down terrorist suspects and holding them to account for their actions.

Pedestrian had to run away from the bus through a maze of shops.

The bomb squad is on the scene.

The attack is the latest in a series of attackers using vehicles as a weapon in 2017. He was the first to be arrested. Meanwhile, the Central Intelligence Agency had apparently warned the Spanish police about an imminent terrorist attack in the city two months prior to today's deadly attack.

The white van slammed into scores of people after it jumped a curb and drove down the famous pedestrian walkway that runs down the middle of the Las Ramblas boulevard.

Eyewitnesses said the van was travelling at speeds of up to 80km/h when it mounted the footpath.

Video posted on social media showed at least four people sprawled on the sidewalk, some apparently not moving. CNN reporter Jim Sciutto described the scene as a "tangle of bodies".

More news: NJ insurers seek rate hikes as Trump actions threaten Obamacare

The van attack on Las Ramblas killed 12 and injured 80, according to an NBC News report citing the regional president.

The Barcelona-based La Vanguardia newspaper reported at least one dead and 20 injured from the van.

It is believed the van hit pedestrians before gunmen ran into a nearby restaurant to hold diners hostage.

"People in my office saw a van ramming into people on Las Ramblas", witness Steven Turner told BBC.com.

The attack took place in Las Ramblas, a popular tourist destination that was filled with visitors at the time of the incident. People walk down a wide, pedestrianized path in the center of the street, but cars can travel on either side.

Spain has so far been spared the kind of extremist violence that has occurred in nearby France, Belgium and Germany.

Cars, trucks and vans have been the weapon of choice in multiple extremist attacks in Europe in the previous year. The ISIL terror group claimed responsibility for both.

Below is the van that was used in the attack.

Mr Tillerson added that the United States stands ready to assist law enforcement authorities in Spain, and that U.S. consulates are assisting Americans in the area. "All of Spain is with the families and their victims".

Donald Trump condemned the attack and offered USA assistance.

Other reports by TheSundaySentinel

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER