Venezuela Says 'Attack' at Military Base Has Been Controlled

Marie Harrington
August 7, 2017

Officials described the men in military fatigues and armed with assault rifles as "terrorists".

Venezuelan authorities suppressed a small rebellion at a military base near the city of Valencia on Sunday, arresting seven men who they say participated in a "terrorist attack" against the government of unpopular leftist President Nicolas Maduro.

"The countries of the region. must continue to tell the Venezuelan regime that in the Americas, there is no place for dictatorships or for the tyrants that lead them", the secretariat of the Organization of American States (OAS) said in a statement.

A witness near the military base, in the town of Naguanagua, reported hearing gunshots before dawn, but Cabello maintained that the situation had been brought under control.

Despite its pledge of "absolute" support to Maduro, the military is under strong pressure, blamed by the opposition for violently quelling protests and urged by it to switch sides. He was flanked by about a dozen men in military uniforms.

"This is not a coup d'etat, this is a civic and military action to restore order But even more so, to save the country from total destruction, to stop the murders of our youth and family". She also questioned why Cabello - one of President Nicolas Maduro's closest allies - rather than the Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino, would have been the one to provide details of the incident.

Earlier on Saturday, Ortega Diaz said that the attorney general's office in Caracas had been surrounded by military troops.

More news: Tillerson to visit Southeast Asia

The opposition Democratic Unity Roundtable (MUD) as well as some countries and regional blocs, including the United States, Mexico, Colombia and the European Union, have refused to recognize the ANC. "There are several terrorists detained", Diosdado Cabello, a long-time government official and lawmaker who is now one of the highest ranking socialist party members, said on his Twitter account.

"These attacks, planned by delirious minds in Miami, only strengthen the morale of our armed forces and the Bolivarian people", said Socialist Party official Elias Jaua.

In 2014, while a captain in the National Guard and amid a previous wave of anti-government unrest, he released a 12-minute video denouncing Mr Maduro.

Last week, two opposition leaders were taken from their homes in the middle of the night by intelligence agents and hauled to prison.

The quasi parallel parliament was established following a recent vote that was internationally condemned as part of a power grab by the embattled president.

The socialist president of venezuela, Nicolas Maduro was a major blow to his opponents: just installed, the Constituent that he has endowed it with unlimited powers, has sacked an opponent of the toughest, the attorney general Luisa Ortega, the risk to aggravate further the tensions with the worldwide community.

Other reports by TheSundaySentinel

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER