Emotion-charged Charlie Gard case to continue

Kristen Gonzales
July 12, 2017

Judge Nicholas Francis gave the couple until Wednesday afternoon to present the evidence and set a new hearing for Thursday in a case that has drawn worldwide attention.

The man, apparently being chased, sped past the camera as BBC journalist Keith Doyle was giving an update on the Charlie Gard case outside the High Court, in the Strand.

Justice Francis, who presided over Gard's initial case and ruled that he should be denied treatment and taken off life support, said that he would only overturn his initial ruling if the evidence for nucleoside bypass treatment is "new and powerful".

May told the parliament last week that she was confident that the hospital would "consider any offers or new information that has come forward with consideration of the well-being of a desperately ill child".

U.S. President, Donald Trump and Pope Francis both offered to help the family last week, while U.S. hospitals said that they might be able to help the child.

Chris Gard and Connie Yates are pleading with courts to allow them to take the 11-month-old to undergo a therapy trial, in America, to battle his rare genetic condition, mitochondrial depletion syndrome.

The judge asked the parents, Connie Yates and Chris Gard, to produce the evidence - about the effectiveness of the experimental treatment that could help their son - by Wednesday 2 p.m. local time (9 a.m. EDT).

More news: Camargo equaliser denies Gold Cup hosts USA

He said: It seems that if he remains at Great Ormond Street it seems that nearly certainly his life support will be withdrawn and clearly he is likely then to die.

Maxwell Smith, who lives in the United Kingdom with his parents, was diagnosed with mitochondrial depletion when he was only several months old, but at the age of five, he is alive thanks to nucleoside bypass treatment.

The child's father yelled at a barrister representing the hospital during Monday's hearing, saying "When are you going to start telling the truth?"

A petition supporting Charlie's right to treatment has garnered around 350,000 signatures and more than 1.3 million pounds ($1.7 million) have been raised online for his case.

"He is our son. Until you're in this situation, you don't understand the power of hope", she said.

"I did my job", he said. He rejected an attempt by the child's parents to have another judge hear the new evidence. "I will continue to do my job".

"There is nothing to lose, he deserves a chance", she added. -- This story has been corrected to show that the surname of the CEO of Americans United for Life is Foster, not Glenn.

Other reports by TheSundaySentinel

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER