Saudi Arabia Confirms Qatar Boycott Policy

Marie Harrington
July 10, 2017

Qatar says it is establishing a committee to pursue compensation claims arising from an unprecedented blockade imposed against the Persian Gulf country by four Arab countries, dubbed as the siege states, led by Saudi Arabia.

Meanwhile, Jarallah mentioned that his meeting with British Minister of State for the Middle East and North Africa Alistair Burt earlier was "positive" and "beneficial" for both sides, adding that it addressed the ongoing Gulf dispute and Britain's support of the Kuwaiti efforts to contain and end the dispute.

Saudi Arabia's Minister of Culture and Information Dr Awwad Al Awwad, has said that Qatar runs 23,000 fake Twitter accounts that have attacked Saudi Arabia, including an account run by Saudi dissident Saad Al Faqih who resides in London, according to Al Arabiya website.

He was met late on Saturday by Qatar's Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani at Al Bahr palace in Doha.

Qatar denies supporting extremism and sees the ultimatum as an affront to its sovereignty.

His Highness the Emir and the visiting minister reviewed facets of bilateral strategic ties and the means to enhance them in different fields, particularly bilateral cooperation in Qatar's hosting of the 2022 World Cup. "As a result of this blockade", Al-Marri said.

More news: Bottas on pole for Austrian Grand Prix

It may be recalled that Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Bahrain had cut off diplomatic and economic ties with Qatar last month, after accusing the country of supporting terrorism and pointing out several other issues.

Washington is anxious that the ongoing standoff could damage its operations to strike terrorists in the Middle East as it has a huge military base in Qatar.

On Thursday, the four nations slammed Qatar's response, relayed by Kuwait, saying Doha's refusal to accept their demands was proof that the tiny rich Gulf nation is linked to terror groups. They did not specify what those steps could include, though officials have previously suggested they could intensify efforts to isolate Qatar economically.

On June 22, they issued a 13-point list of demands, including the shutdown of Al Jazeera, as a prerequisite to lift the sanctions.

Is anti-Qatar quartet spreading hate speech in mosques?

US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is scheduled to arrive in Kuwait on Monday for talks on the Gulf crisis.

Other reports by TheSundaySentinel

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER