Maxime Hamou banned from French Open after inappropriate behavior

Sheri Evans
May 31, 2017

Maxime Hamou was banned from the French Open on Tuesday, a day after he kissed and held onto a female TV journalist who was just trying to do her job.

"If I hadn't been live on air, I would have punched him".

Qualifier Maxime Hamou has had his accreditation for the French Open revoked after inappropriate behaviour towards a female TV reporter.

Maybe Hamou should spend a little more time focusing on behaving appropriately instead of tennis.

"Maly is a highly respected journalist and we are pleased that a full apology is being offered."

"We sincerely regret the incident that occurred during yesterday evenings interview between Maly Thomas and Maxime Hamou", Eurosport said in a statement.

More news: James passes Jordan, Cavs back in Finals with 135-102 win

Thomas pulled away from the French player as he repeatedly attempted to kiss her on the head, before he wrapped his arm around her neck and pulled her back.

The French Tennis Federation (FTT) later condemned the "reprehensible behaviour" and ordered an investigation into how it happened.

The decision was handed out by the French Tennis Federation (FFT), the official body in charge of the operations at the Grand Slam event underway in Paris.

None of that's close to as significant as his unwanted grabbing and kissing of Thomas, of course, but it's notable that this isn't the first controversy Hamou has stirred up.

Thomas, on the other hand, told Huffington Post France that the experience had been "frankly unpleasant".

"I just had a wonderful week at Roland Garros, living my most lovely emotions as a tennis player, and I let my enthusiasm be expressed awkwardly towards Maly who I know and respect". Nothing of all that is written was my intention. "I am at her disposal to apologise to her in person if she so desires".

Other reports by TheSundaySentinel

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER